As we return from Thanksgiving and prepare to close out the first semester of the 2016-2017 school year, it is important to take time to celebrate the greatness that occurs in our classrooms, on our playing fields, and in our community each day. Please take a look at just a few of the amazing results of our young people, our teachers, our leaders, and our board of education listed below. If you would like to add to this impressive list please post your thoughts on our blog at www.oconeeschools.org.
· Congratulations to all of our students and teachers for posting the highest graduation rate in the history of Oconee County Schools (95.6%).
· Congratulations to all of our students and teachers for earning the #1 SAT (1603) and #2 ACT (23.8) scores in the state of Georgia.
· Congratulations to the Oconee County Board of Education for being named a 2016 Exemplary Board by the Georgia School Boards Association.
· Congratulations to Dr. Paige Cole for being named the Oconee County Schools Teacher of the Year.
· Congratulations to MBES and HSES for being named 2016 Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence.
· Congratulations to OCES, OCPS, and OCMS for being named 2016 Title I Highest Performing Reward Schools.
· Congratulations to OCS for being one of only six school systems in Georgia named to the Advanced Placement Honor Roll.
· Congratulations to OCS for being one of only four school districts in Georgia named a Title I Reward District and earning a $50,000 grant for our students.
· Congratulations to our students and school communities for assisting others by donating over 30,000 cans to the ACTS food drive.
· Congratulations to the OCHS (sweet sixteen) and NOHS (sweet sixteen) volleyball teams for great seasons.
· Congratulations to the OCHS (elite eight) softball team on a tremendous season.
· Congratulations to the NOHS and OCHS girls cross country teams for great seasons—NOHS (region champs and 5th in the state) and OCHS (6th in the state).
· Congratulations to the NOHS competition cheerleading team for winning a region championship and placing 9th in the state championships.
· Congratulations to the NOHS and OCHS boys cross country teams for great seasons— OCHS (4th in the state) and NOHS (5th in the state).
· Congratulations to the OCHS football team for making the state playoffs.
· Congratulations to all of our schools for their numerous achievements in and out of the classroom. The accomplishments are endless and cannot be fully listed—what a great problem to have. As I close out this column, singing the praises of our students and schools, I want to take a minute to thank each of you, our parents and community members, for the huge role you play in the achievements listed above. I hope that you will take as much pride in reading them as I did writing them. Enjoy the remaining days of the semester and as always I would appreciate hearing your thoughts about our amazing students at firstname.lastname@example.org.