As spring approaches, Oconee County Schools is beginning to celebrate the successes of the Class of 2013 and prepare for the Class of 2026. That is correct – your eyes did not deceive you! Next week we open kindergarten registration for the Class of 2026.
The beginning of the formal educational journey is an exciting time in the lives of families and the principals, teachers, and staffs of Oconee County Schools want to ensure that our new students and their families have a tremendous experience right from the start. Thus, we have provided pertinent information below that attempts to answer some frequently asked questions.
· What : Kindergarten Registration for the Class of 2026
· When: March 6 and 7 from 2:45 – 5:00 p.m.
· Where: The primary or elementary school within your attendance zone
· What is needed at the time of registration?
· Your child’s birth certificate
· Immunization form 3231
· Your child’s Social Security card
· Proof of residency
· How long will the registration process take?
· The entire registration and screening process should take no more than 20-30 minutes.
· Will kindergarten teachers be available during the registration times?
· Yes, kindergarten teachers will be on hand to screen all rising kindergarteners for reading, math, and personal development readiness.
· Why is a screening needed?
· The screening information is a snapshot of where your student is currently and will be used to best meet the child’s needs when school begins in the fall.
· Is this the only opportunity for incoming students to register for kindergarten?
· No, students may enroll at any time if the registration dates are not convenient; however, screenings may not be available.
· Why does registration occur now?
· As OCS plans and budgets for next school year it is important that we have an accurate number of incoming students so that personnel can be allocated appropriately. Simply stated, the number of students determines the number of teachers needed.
Once again, we want to welcome our new families to Oconee County Schools and hope that your registration process goes smoothly and that your student is as excited to start school next year as we are to welcome them into the Oconee Family. If you have specific questions about the registration process please contact your child’s school or Lisa Daniel, Director of Elementary Instruction, @ email@example.com.
As always, I would love to hear from our stakeholders. Please email me your thoughts about our registration process and your experience with that process at firstname.lastname@example.org.