It seems with each passing year that the pace of life quickens and the ability to pause, give thanks, and celebrate the many accomplishments of those around us vanishes into the night. Thus, as the sun sets on the first semester of the 2015-2016 school year, it is important to take time to celebrate the greatness that occurs in our classrooms, on our playing fields, and in our community each day. Please take a look at just a few of the amazing results of our young people, our teachers, our leaders, and our board of education listed below. If you would like to add to this impressive list please post your thoughts on our blog at www.oconeeschools.org.
· Congratulations to all of our students and teachers for posting the highest graduation rate in the history of Oconee County Schools (93.6%).
· Congratulations to all of our students and teachers for earning the second highest SAT (1580) and ACT (23.6) scores in the state of Georgia.
· Congratulations to the Oconee County Board of Education for being named a 2015 Exemplary Board by the Georgia School Boards Association.
· Congratulations to our students and school communities for assisting others by donating over 30,000 cans to the ACTS food drive.
· Congratulations to RBES for being named a National School of Character.
· Congratulations to Ms. Patricia Huff for being inducted into the Oconee County Schools Hall of Fame.
· Congratulations to OCES and OCMS for being named Title I Highest Performing Reward Schools.
· Congratulations to OCS for being one of only six systems in Georgia named to the Advanced Placement Honor Roll.
· Congratulations to OCS for being one of only four districts in Georgia named a Title I Reward District and earning a $50,000 grant for our students.
· Congratulations to Ms. Shawna McGrath for being named the 2016 Oconee County Schools Teacher of the Year.
· Congratulations to the OCHS (final four) and NOHS (elite eight) volleyball teams for great seasons.
· Congratulations to the OCHS (sweet sixteen) and NOHS (elite eight) softball teams for tremendous seasons.
· Congratulations to the NOHS boys and girls and OCHS boys cross country teams for earning region championships.
· Congratulations to the OCHS football team for winning a region championship and advancing to the sweet sixteen.
· Congratulations to NOHS state champion Farm Business Management team.
· Congratulations to the NOHS and OCHS competition cheerleading teams for great seasons—OCHS (region champs and 8th in the state) and NOHS (8th in the state).
· Congratulations to all of our schools for their numerous achievements in and out of the classroom. The accomplishments are endless and cannot be fully listed—what a great problem to have.
As I close out this column, singing the praises of our students and schools, I want to take a minute to thank each of you, our parents and community members, for the huge role you play in the achievements listed above. I hope that you will take as much pride in reading them as I did writing them. Merry Christmas!